Monday, September 10, 2012

3-Point Plan for Sustainable Eating

I have decided to combine three projects that I have wanted to pursue into one: start a compost pile, build a rain barrel, and mainly cook plant-based meals. This 3-point plan was devised because all three of these interests relate to gardening. It is my plan to start a small, probably container garden in the spring. These three project components will prepare me for my spring garden, but also to establish more sustainable eating habits.

Compost Pile

I just bought two containers for my compost pile. One is a small airtight container and the other is a larger plastic bin (made of 99% recycled plastic!). I have attempted compost piles in the past but I have never managed to create any fertile soil. Incorporating composting into my personal project will give me the extra motivation to maintain a useful pile. To start, I plan to gather browns (carbon materials) such as dead leaves and fruit waste as well as greens (nitrogen materials) such as plant and food waste in the next couple weeks. I live in a small apartment complex, therefore for the time being I will need to keep my compost in the large bin outside. I am hoping to find a location to use my compost, hopefully in a friend’s side-yard or an easily accessible community garden. If time allows, I will experiment with worm composting. My goals are to learn how to maintain a productive carbon to nitrogen ratio, eliminate waste (and fruit flies in my apartment), and produce rich soil for my spring garden.

Rain Barrel

The second part of my personal project is to build a rain barrel for under $20. Similar to composting, building a rain barrel has been on my to-do list since I heard about them. My fear of water shortage in the future is quite real; thus anyway I can cut back on personal water usage and waste helps curb that paranoia. My goal is to build one under $20 because I want to show you readers that you too can build one with very little money. I do not plan on using the rain barrel in the spring because I am certain that my building’s management would prohibit me altering their gutter drainpipe. Also I am sure they would not appreciate a damp mosquito den near the building. The rain barrel is more for my personal use when I one day live in a more permanent location with a larger garden.

Cooking Plant-Based Meals

This part of the project is intended to help me practice cooking with vegetables and fruits, specifically those that I plan to grow in my spring garden. I will cook a plant-based meal at least once a week. In the spring, I would like to garden onions, spinach, tomatoes, asparagus, and various peppers (e.g., bell, jalapenos, chocolate). Though easier said than done, I will probably start with only a handful of those listed. Since my garden will not begin until second semester, cooking with my own vegetables is out of the question. In the meantime, I will take full advantage of produce at the Bloomington Farmer’s Market and Bloomingfoods. Considering that I have been a pescatarian for almost three years, it is time to learn how to become a better cook.

Please let me know if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions. It will be a very busy, but productive semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment