Sunday, November 4, 2012

Economic Democracy: The Credit Union as an Asset of Community Economic Development

For quite some time I have been interested in credit unions as an alternative to commercial banks. I have been, however, a lifetime customer of J.P. Morgan Chase Bank simply because my father worked for Chase and I never really understood the rationale of a credit union. While I was growing up the only credit union I remember seeing was the Indiana Members Credit Union located on East 82nd Street, but I did not pay it much attention. Similar to other community based and sustainability practices, I did not engage in them because they were not the norm and no one had informed me of their benefits.

As a sophomore undergraduate at Indiana University, I somehow decided to major in nonprofit management at the School of Public and Environmental Affairs. In my first nonprofit course, V221 The Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector, taught by Rebecca Nannery, we discussed the different types of IRS tax-exempt organizations. To my surprise, credit unions were in fact tax-exempt, just like public charities and political advocacy groups. According to the IRS, Federal Credit Unions, corporations organized under act of congress, are 501(c)(1) organizations, while state-chartered credit unions are 501(c)(14) organizations. Both types of credit unions are tax-exempt, meaning they are generally not subjected to state sales, payroll, property, federal income, and other taxes.

Although I did not learn anymore about credit unions in my other nonprofit classes, my interest and respect for the nonprofit sector intensified. This respect combined with my father ending his career with Chase after 25 years, my seasoned political views, and the 2008 financial crisis has driven me to the point where I feel obligated to transfer what little money I have in savings to a credit union. If I had made this decision earlier in my college career I probably would have given the IU Credit Union a try; however, it is not too late to use it as a resource to finding out more about making the change.

Since Roseland emphasizes the use of local credit unions as an important tool for promoting community economic development, it seemed appropriate to highlight some key features of these financial institutions and why they are important. Roseland declares that “[community economic] development without growth can be encouraged by supporting existing businesses and increasing the number of times each dollar circulates within the community” (214). Considering that major commercial banks—J.P. Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Wells Fargo—extract capital from communities in form of deposits, its understandable that state and other local credit unions are more likely to increase local economic development by keeping more money in the community. Due to the tax-exempt status of credit unions, these institutions do not distribute profits to shareholders, as do commercial banks. Like all other nonprofits, when a credit union makes any type of profit the money is reinvested in its operations, resulting in lower loan interest rates, higher interest on deposits, and little to no service fees.

It is widely understood that to be a part of a credit union a person must become a member. Membership is usually based on a shared connection such as profession or a geographic region. Fortunately for those who are not teachers or firefighters, you are able to become a member of your city or town credit union if you have decent credit history. As a result, you will own a portion of the union through a mutual trust bond with other members. Credit unions have therefore been described as economic democracies, meaning that each member has equal ownership and therefore a say in how the voluntary board operates the union. According to the United States Census Bureau, there were approximately 500,000 federal credit union members and 40,000 state credit union members in 2010. The number of members in each type of union has risen dramatically since 1990.

These two informational videos go into further detail about the benefits of being a credit union member:

My favorite part of this video is when Ms. Gibbons says that credit unions were not caught up in the 2008 subprime mortgage fiasco, thus credit union loan portfolios are now increasing rather than declining. I find it baffling that she says that 90 million citizens are credit union members—a number that conflicts with that of the U.S. census.

Mr. Lee makes me happy to hear that if I do not like the way my credit union is being operated then I am able to vote for new board members or even run as a board candidate. This gives me a feeling a great control over my deposits and how they are being used. I also appreciate how he outlines the importance of credit union customer service. He discusses how this can build healthy relationships, contributing to the social capital that Roseland stresses as a key component of effective community economic development.

Are any of you credit union members? Are they all they are cracked up to be? The only downside I can think of is that credit union ATMs are not widespread, making it difficult to avoid service charges from commercial bank ATMs when you are in another city.


Roseland states that most contemporary “community economic development initiatives focus on augmenting individual and community self-reliance through collaborative action, capacity-building and returning control of business enterprises, capital, labor and other resources from the global market to communities” (216). If that is the case, credit unions meet all three points of Roseland’s concept of community economic development. In the truest sense, credit unions epitomize local self-reliance and financial security. If you are considering switching banks anytime soon, it may be a good idea to find your local credit union and live more sustainably.

9 comments:

  1. Even though I bank with a credit union I wasn't too familiar with how they operated! Thank you!

    I actually joined my credit union because it was the norm. I belong to Teacher's Federal Credit Union on Long Island. When I moved to Bloomington for school I was considering switching to a national bank (due to lack of atms), but then I learned about the CUSN. The Credit Union Service Network allows credit unions nationwide to become members. As a perk if you bank at a credit union that is a member, you can bank with other credit unions that are also members. A cooperative's cooperative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Addison, thank you for the informative post! I've actually always been a bit curious about credit unions myself. I didn't even realize that their was an opportunity for me to get involved with one, I guess because I thought you needed to be a teacher or a firefighter to gain membership. Based on what little I already knew and what you have posted here, it seems like it makes good economic sense to be a part of a credit union. However, what I love most about it is the idea of a locally run and driven institution. In my recent years as an undergraduate, I have slowly become to understand the importance of the local economy. Credit Unions just sound like another way for mutual benefit for my community, and my small wallet. I've been debating switching my accounts over for awhile now, and this might just be the excuse I was looking for. I'll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read in a few places that putting your money in a local bank or credit union is one of the most effective ways to live more sustainably. This is because these institutions are not going to make environmentally irresponsible investments. In the case of local banks, more investments are made in the community, helping that economy grow. I've always kept my money in local banks, but I will have to check out a local credit union next time I move. Thanks, Addison!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a few people have mentioned, I really appreciated your post because I have never looked into credit unions. There is one right by my parent's house, (Michigan State FCU) and growing up I always saw it but never put much thought into it. Apparently, if I want to join the MSUFCU, I (as a non-student or faculty) would have to join the Michigan United Conservation Clubs, whose members are eligible. Because I am interested in conservation, this wouldn't be much of a barrier for me, but it might be for others. Interesting way to gain membership. If I move back up to Michigan, I think I will do both and join the credit union. I may also check out my City's credit union. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was also not aware of the benefits of credit unions. I've never thought of banking at a credit union rather than a traditional bank as a way to become more sustainable, but it does make sense. One of my roommates in the past banked at IU Credit Union. I don't think she did so for sustainability purposes, but because that's just where her and her parents set up her account when she came to IU as a freshman. She always wanted to change to Chase because Chase has tons of ATMs and IU Credit Union doesn't have as many, so it was kind of a hassle to withdraw money if she wanted to avoid fees. I think this is one significant downfall and why many people go to Chase. However, as more places can accept debit and credit cards, such as on phones, and physical cash is not needed as much, this downfall may diminish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Addison, nice post and thanks for pointing out an important feature on how to best localize banking needs. CU's support a true local economy and are therefore a sustainable community feature.

    I've been an IU Credit Union member for the entirety of my fiscal life. While I knew some of the benefits you mentioned, I was not aware of all of them. However, I have always been a huge fan and advocate of IUCU. Even more so after hearing horror stories from friends about fees, terrible customer service, the economic crisis, and the growing anti-big bank sentiment.

    There are no fees for anything I can think of and the checking is free at IUCU. I believe you must have a minimum $50 in savings to have a savings account. I have free overdraft protection that transfers the overdraft from my savings account with no additional fees. I don't know what you'd be charged if you didn't have anything in your savings, luckily that hasn't happened to me. The credit card and loan rates are low, I have direct payroll deposits/automatic payments, and the customer service has been great.

    They also recently made improvements to their website with additional payment and budgeting features. As far as ATMs go, it's only an issue when traveling. There is one a block from my office, one on campus, and enough around town. There are also branches at every regional campus which is nice when I travel for work. As others have mentioned, cash is increasingly moot with the prevalence of debit cards, online, and automatic banking, so the ATM issue is trivial to the overall benefit and comfort of the CU.

    So yeah, I'd recommend them (if you couldn't tell) and there is an associated 'warm glow' knowing that you're not really part of the Too Big To Fails.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unlike you, I have been a credit union member since I had the money and need to put money in a safer place than my sock drawer. But like you the bank I use is because of my parents, both belong to the credit union (I believe because of my father's job). The thing I think needs to be pointed out is that I can use ANY ATM that has a little PLUS sign on it any credit union ATM and not get charged. Though most big name ATMs aren't that nice and take out a fee.

    I am from Western PA now living in IN, a full Ohio away from my couple branched credit union. But I can walk to I think almost any ATM on campus and pull out money with no charge simply because they are part of the larger network as well as numerous ATMs with that PLUS marking around town (though that is an assumption because I really haven't gone around town...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I honestly had no idea what the difference was between a credit union and a bank until recently. Growing up, my family "banked" at a local credit union in Kokomo, IN, so they were always a norm for me. I'm thankful to have been a member now for almost 10 years, especially since I just got a car loan with a MUCH better interest rate than I was expecting. Not having access to a free ATM here in Bloomington can make things a little complicated, but with online banking, online check deposits, and cash back at stores when using my debit card, it almost becomes a non-issue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the post, Addison. I never realized there was a difference between a credit union and 'normal' banks until about a year ago when a friend mentioned it. I've thought about switching, but ultimately decided to wait until I'm in a more permanent place to do that. Although, when I made that decision I didn't know about this credit union cooperative thing where you can access ATMs everywhere, so maybe I should reevalulate! Speaking of money, although it is tempting to put everything on the credit card to earn cash-back rewards, I've been trying to pay more with cash--I'm a little bothered by causing small, local businesses to have to pay Chase when I shop there and pay with a card. The bottom line is that banking matters way more than we tend to think about!

    ReplyDelete